Following the success of his debut solo album Humble Beginnings (2008), Raven is back with his sophomore release Ravenous 20Ten. Rising through the underground of Melbourne Hip-Hop as an emcee with the group Lost Soulz, Raven emerged as a lyricist to watch out for. Featuring as a member of the Hungry Humans crew and Crate Cartel Records, he has cemented a name for himself as a well respected artist with vivid lyrical content and strong presence.
Ravenous 20Ten combines traditional Hip-Hop with personal and politically charged topics to create a concept album where Raven observes two worlds; the world that immediately surrounds him and the world that surrounds us all. It is a journey through the different stages of Ravens adult life. Starting with the powerful Ravenous 20Ten Intro the emotive soundscape combined with Ravens technical flow demand the listeners? attention which is then held from start to Finish.
On the opening crowd pleasers Pusher Man and Barb Wire feat. Maundz) We learn of Ravens love for the raw spirit of hip hop which is ever current in all his music. From here we are taken to the streets of Melbourne on tracks like Beer Pressure and That Attitude which summarise the highs and lows of a night out on the town. The vibe changes at this point with Raven being whisked into the daily grind on the moody Devils Advocate which delves into the pressure of the corporate world and the sacrifices that are required to survive it. On I’m an Emcee and Fitness he bounces back to his roots as an emcee in impressive fashion.
On the second half of the album Raven uses his ability to give his detailed perspective on the world. One of the
albums biggest surprises is The Hermit Song produced by Brisbane’s latest super-producer Cam Bluff (Vegas Aces). This anthemic banger pays homage to those who quite frankly would rather just stay home! Assisting on the mic are fellow Crate Cartel emcees Fluent Form, Geko and Maundz, Geelong’s Insomniacs Fatty Phew, Luke Mac and Spit, long time affiliate Aetcix and Myk Reid and Adelaide’s Certified Wise member Vents.
Ravenous 20Ten features production from some of Australia’s most sort after producers including Geko, Cam Bluff and WIK plus more. Canadian heavy hitter Engineer (Diabolic, Immortal Technique, Rhyme Asylum) also adds his sound to round out the album. Emotionally driven, this is a story of parties, protests and procrastination! This is Ravenous 20Ten.
Tour dates for Brisbane, Sydney, Canberra, Adelaide, Geelong and Melbourne have been scheduled for early 2011.
01. Ravenous 20Ten Intro Produced by Cam Bluff
02. Pusher Man Produced by Geko
03. Barb Wire feat. Maundz Produced by WIK
04. Beer Pressure Produced by Mules
05. That Attitude Produced by WIK
06. Devils Advocate Produced by Engineer
07. I’m An Emcee Produced by Engineer
08. Fitness Produced by J Smith & The Dutchman
09. My Generation Is feat. Fluent Form and Geko Produced by Geko
10. The Righteous and The Wretched feat. Vents Produced by Geko
11. Ravolution Produced by Discourse
12. The Hermit Song Produced by Cam Bluff
13. What The Future Holds feat. Geko and Luke Mac Produced by Geko
14. Final Decision Produced by Engineer
15. Hush feat. Aetcix, Luke Mac, Spit, Myk Reid, Geko and Fatty Phew Produced by Geko
Available: December 3rd, 2010
Released by: Crate Cartel
Distributed by: Obese Records
Illustrations were done by Chris Bones, you can check out his work here:
Design layout was done by Chad Harris.